Sunday, August 8, 2010

An after-thought to Editing lectures

A wise man once tried to explain to a bunch of bambi-eyed students, why cinema was not a language but a meta language. This is what one of the bambi-eyed understood.

Learning a language (say Hindi) can teach you that nice weather can be expressed by words "achcha mausam". Learning a meta language can teach you how to lay down rules in a language so that a collection of symbols express a certain meaning. So a meta language will allow me to define a new language all together in which good weather can be called "sikka dum; dee da da". Also meta language will help me understand the structure of Hindi and why therefore should "achcha mausam" mean good weather in Hindi.

This mean that cinema or film language does not tell me that a montage means "xyz happened" or a fade in implies that "so much time elapsed" or a sound effect estabilishes "such and such facts"? Instead it teaches me to how to establish what a fade out could mean within the context of my film, what sense a certain shot would evoke in the audience as regards my film, what a montage sequence will come to mean strictly in my film.

The principle advantage of this school of thought is that if this is what the wise man really meant, then hah, I got his point; and if it isn't, then hah, I just came up with a film theory. (All smiles. Very happy. Dangerously skirting self-congratulations)

No comments:

Post a Comment